WEEK 6.2: GROUND FOR THOUGHTS (W/ LINSEY GOSPER)
Portfolio reviews as part of the Ballarat Foto Biennale.
- Overall series: The idea of printing on fabric is good. It makes sense, as fabric is such a big part of the project.
- Overall series: The photograph of just the clothes together could work to pull the three parts together. Probably not as a large-scale photograph as part of the exhibit but as a postcard, catalog, cover, small wallpaper print directly on the wall, or my report for example. The three parts can be grouped separately, as individual series, as three bodies of work in the same space. They don't have to be next to each other. It's probably not important to make them sit next to each other in a perfectly aesthetic way. The image with all three would then be the key to bring them all together.
- Overall series: Beautiful series and so many layers of my involvement in the process. This also translates to the images, too: meeting the subjects, making clothes for them etc. is a beautiful process, lovely collaboration.
- Michelle's photographs: Images have movement in them which would then again work well when printed on fabric (considering that fabric moves). Nice flexibility in that.
- Michelle's photographs: »The first one is just stunning«, the light, the way the hair is like the trees and the dress is like the water. Same with the third one where the dress looks like the water again, the rippling. You get a sense of her and her face but she's also a bit veiled.
- Matt's photographs: They are very different which is going back to the concept of reflecting the person.
- Matt's photographs: Also here is movement (which again would work when printing on fabric). The second image is good as a break.
- Nikola's stand-ins: FaceTime won't work with my aesthetic. But excellent ideas to make him wear the clothes and do something with them (clothes as such, scan them or take pictures of them). Consider sending him a disposable camera to take pictures of himself. Maybe with (abstract) guidelines. Like a love letter because it is being posted back and forth and document that as well. Also, the sense of longing, when you have a piece of someone's clothing, that you can smell (so much emotive presence in people's worn clothing).
- B Side: It's nice that Michelle said she likes being in nature and I took the dress back into nature.